Getting married can be one of the most stressful times of your life – the only things ranked as high are moving home and divorce! Here are a few tips to make sure the day goes smoothly.
1) Make a budget – and stick to it! Set a total and make a list of what you need, then shop around for the best prices. Remember small things like place cards as well as big things like venue and entertainment. If you’re economising, can you make invitations or ask an enthusiast friend to do the cake or photography? Use a spreadsheet to compare prices.
2) Know what to buy from where. The dress is best bought in a shop so it can be fitted in the weeks coming up to the big day, and same with wedding bands so they can be tried on. Entertainment should be booked in person to get a feel for the entertainer/s. However, if you have an idea of what you want already, invites and decorations could be ordered from the internet.
3) Organisation! The more organised you are, the better the flow. Make use of all tools possible – spreadsheets, phone apps, even a good old-fashioned notebook – to keep track of how your plans are progressing.
4) Delegate. If you try and take everything on just between you and your spouse-to-be, you will become stressed. Let family and friends help.
5) Don’t try and please everyone. It’s your wedding day and the people who should enjoy it most are you and your partner – remember that.
6) Consider insurance. A wedding can cost many thousands of pounds and should the worst happen you don’t want to lose all of that. Assign some cash for insurance – it can be obtained for as little as Â£35.
7) Finally, smile and enjoy it – your wedding is a happy day for all!